These biscuits are simple, quick and easy to adapt- we've used lemon zest here, which pairs perfectly with Earl Grey teas, but could easily have a teaspoon of ground ginger or cinnamon to go with a chai. All will go well with an afternoon tea!
55g caster sugar (and a little extra for dusting)
180g plain flour
1 medium egg
Zest of one lemon
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees/gas 5. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat the sugar and butter together until smooth.
3. Add the flour, zest and egg and mix until a dough is produced.
4. Roll out dough (I use a sheet of greaseproof paper underneath, using a bit of flour if the dough sticks). Using a cookie cutter, cut out rounds and allow to 'rest' in the fridge for 20 minutes on the lined baking tray.
5. Sprinkle caster sugar on top of the cookies and put in the oven. Bake for 10/15 minutes or until golden.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
Comments will be approved before showing up.